It's a waste to throw away bonito flakes after making dashi. This recipe helps to turn used bonito flakes into a great Furikake that you can use to top your rice or Yaki-soba.
- 1oz/30g used bonito flakes
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1tablespoon of mirin
- 1 tablespoon of cooking sake
- 1 teaspoon of toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon of anori seaweed powder
- Yawataya Isogoro shichimi togarashi to taste
- In a small shallow pan, add the soy sauce, mirin and sake. Heat until boiling
- Meanwhile, make sure you squeeze as much of the water in the used bonito flakes as possible, this will help to dry them out in the cooking process
- Add the used bonito flakes into the pan, stir with chopsticks to break up any lumps and to abvoid burning until the mixture had dried out.
- Remove from heat and add the sesame seeds and shichimi togarashi powder to taste if you want a spicy kick.
- Serve over rice immediately or store in a airtight container for up to 1 month in the fridge.
To learn more about Bonito Flakes check out our 'What are Bonito Flakes' article here