- Place the Kombu and water in a large bowl. Cover with cling film and let it soak for 2 hours, ideally overnight. (If water seems slimy, this is completely normal)
- In a large saucepan, heat up the Kombu and Water to around 149°F/65°C or until you can see bubbles appearing along the rim of the pan.
- Turn the heat off and let it steep for 10 mins.
- After 10 mins, remove the kombu and heat the water to around 185°F/85°C. If you add the bonito flakes into the water at a hotter temperature, the dashi will lose its aroma and become cloudy.
- Turn the heat off and add the bonito flakes. Let it steep for 1 hour to achieve the best result.
- Then strain the liquid naturally and slowly.
To learn more about Bonito Flakes check out our 'What are Bonito Flakes' article here